[bksvol-discuss] Re: resubmitting my question

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:29:13 -0500

Ellen, Google Books are scanned as well, so are not 100% accurate. I would guess that this book just has some space that aren't wide enough for the OCR to determine whether or not they are supposed to be a space. What I would do is have a sighted person check a couple of the places where you have had an issue. If they tell you there are spaces between the words, I would assume that this book has weird spacing that the OCR has trouble with and you will have to fix it.

Melissa Smith

On 6/1/2011 10:36 AM, Ellen Bartlett wrote:

Hi group,

I was working on scanning the book Stealing Lumby by Gail Fraser, and I’ve run into a sticky problem. In a number of spots, it seems like there aren´t any spaces between words. I checked on Google books, and it sometimes happens there too, though not necessarily in the same places. What should I do about this? For the moment, I’ve held off on scanning any more of it.

Thanks for any help,

Ellen