[bksvol-discuss] Re: question re scanning oddity

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:22:20 -0700 (PDT)

Pam, I think that's a good theory. It would mean,
though, that the person scanning isn't pressing the
book down hard enough. Scanners have to learn that. I
didn't realize it until someone posted something here.
I was just using the scanner cover to hold the book
until someone posted that one has to press the book
page firmly on the platen, but not so hard as to crack
the platen.

Some of the partial lines are from further down on the
same page (much easier to put them togeher when that's
the case), but the theory would fit that
situation,too, I think.

What that theory does, and I'm quite prepared to
accept it, is make me think of the scanner as having a
mind of its own and doing what it wants. maybe it's
one of Stephen King's machines (smile). I remember one
of his short stories from years ago where machines ran
amok -- I especially remember the ringer dryer
capturing the woman (I was using a ringer-dryer at the
time).

Cindy

http://mail.yahoo.com