[bksvol-discuss] question re scanning oddity

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question ? a puzzle.

I?ve validated several books in which sentences are
fragmented and parts are a few lines, or even a page,
away. I haven? figured out what might cause this, and
I wonder if anyone, perhaps some of you more technical
people like Guido and Pratik, might have an idea. I
figure that the kinds of letter recognition errors we
usually see are caused by different type fonts and
possibly, in cases of garbled text, a difference in
contrast between the type font and the paper used
(even when gray scale is used for scanning), and the
end-of-line garbage, it?s been explained, is probably
caused either by the binding not being pressed down
hard enough or by other pages, or the book cover,
extending beyond the page being scanned. But I haven?t
been able to figure out what would cause perfect parts
of sentences being somewhere other than where they
belong. Sometimes they are close by the rest of the
sentence and sometimes some distance away.

Does anyone have an explanation? I don?t think it?s
anything the person scanning or is not doing, but the
other kinds of errors make sense to me and this
doesn?t.

Just curious.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo