[bksvol-discuss] Re: problem with first line on some pages

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 23:26:44 -0600

Sometimes they are so different, they scan as several incorrect letters. That is almost always the way with my Sierra books. It can also affect subsequent lines, depending on how your scanning software zones it. If you are uncertain how it should read, often a sighted volunteer can confirm text. I along with many more have done that when it is not clear. The teamwork here is wonderful!

Valerie

On 11 07, 2009, at 11:12 PM, Debby Franson wrote:

Hi Mayrie!

Is it necessary to delete that first letter, or is hitting the delete key to have the rest of the text meet it okay?

Debby

At 12:46 PM 11/7/2009, Mayrie ReNae wrote
HI Bud,

Actually, I think what the OCR is interpreting as a letter a couple of lines above the next part of the word is actually a REALLY large letter that publishers tend to like putting at the beginnings of chapters and sections in books. I guess they think it looks pretty to make the first letter of a section really, really large. I do as you do, and just erase the offending letter and retype it so it matches the rest of the text.

Mayrie