[bksvol-discuss] Re: microsoft office 2010 question

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:45:33 -0500

Hi all,

Chris, when dealing with a computer, you need to remember that it is a very literal beasty. You *must* tell it which text you want it to change. It will not act unless it knows exactly what you want done, down to the minute detail. I don't know what screen reader you've got but whatever one it is ought to tell you the alignment of your text.

To align everything to the left, do the following:

1. do a ctrl-a. This is paramount! This command selects or marks *all* the text. In effect you are saying to the computer, "Now, Hal, I want you to deal with all the text in this file, every single byte, and I want my next command to apply to *all* this text."

If you were sighted you would see the whole screen turn red. Since you aren't, you have to rely on what your screen reader tells you. But this command is vital!

2.  Hit a ctrl-l as in left.

Voila! You've got everything aligned left. Now you can go back and center your title and what-not. It takes way longer to write this than it does to do it.

HTH,
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons