[bksvol-discuss] Re: m-dashes

  • From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bkvol" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:09:54 -0500

    At the risk of prolonging the agony: I've discovered in the past few
months that some speech synthesizers also handle M-dashes poorly. Some
synths, when they encounter two words connected by an M-dash, will drop the
first letter off the second word, making it hard to tell what the word is
supposed to be. The problem goes away, when you replace M-dashes with double
hyphens.

Paula