[bksvol-discuss] Re: long dash

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 17:51:22 -0700

Hi Gail,

        I don't think you want to do a global delete of long dashes.  I
think a replace with double hyphens would be better.  Long dashes indicate a
sort of pause in the flow of the language that will be lost if you delete
them altogether.

To replace them with double hyphens, which the screen readers and braille
translator read accurately, you can do the following:
Select the long dash by sitting on the first occurrence of it in the book
and pressing shift plus right arrow.
K1000 should repeat the character.
Copy that to the clipboard by pressing control c
Open the find and replace dialogue by pressing control h
In the find box, press control v to paste your long dash into that box
Tab once
You are now in the replace with box, type-- that is two dashes or hyphens
Tab to the place where you hear k1000 say "replace all"
Hit enter there.
Wait.  In a little bit K1000 will tell you how many replacements it has
made.
Now press control s to save the changes,
And you're done.

Let me know if any of this is unclear, and I'll try again.

Good luck!

Mayrie