[bksvol-discuss] Re: line feeds, carriage returns and page breaks

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:39:52 -0500

In .txt files a linefeed in conjunction with a carriage return mean a line
break, and two of them mean a paragraph break. I've never seen a linefeed
without a carriage return.

I think it originally comes from the old linetype machines where you could
write a line, do a carriage return without a linefeed and underline parts of a
line.

I can't think of a good reason to have a linefeed without a carriage return.

Bob (reminiscing about old machines like himself).