[bksvol-discuss] just submitted a book "A Lady's Ranch Life in Montana"

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 17:21:54 -0600

Here are the details of another book I have scanned and submitted for our friendly skies at Bookshare. It is a pretty interesting book, I think. I may be biased as it takes place just down the road from where I live!

But it was all awhile back, before any of us were around... 1885!
Thanks to all of you who have been, so devotedly, editing and proofing my submissions.
Rik James

AUTHOR:   Isabel F. Randall
Isabel F. Randall, Richard L. Saunders (ed.), Shirley A. Leckie (Foreword)
     ISBN #:   0-8061-3640-5
     TITLE:   A Lady's Ranch Life in Montana
YEAR OF COPYRIGHT: Copyright © 2004 by the University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, Publishing Division of the University.
     from the book's back cover:
'A Faithful and Unvarnished Record of a Settler’s Life’ is how Isabel Randall described her letters when they were first published in 1887. Randall was one of the few European women to write about the western experience from the inside. In 1884 Randall and her husband settled on a ranch in Montana hoping to make their fortune in the livestoc boom. Randall’s letters home to England describe the practical affairs of daily life, rural social interactions and the natural world around her. Her letters are cheerful, but they also suggest why the Randalls ultimately failed to achieve financial success. In this new edition of A Lady’s Ranch Life in Montana Richard L. Saunders supplements Randall’s letters with notes and an extensive introduction drawn from a wealth of primary sources.
    Volume 67 in The Western Frontier Library
Isabel F. Randall (1860-1933) lived in Montana between 1884 and 1886, when she returned to England and published her collection of letters on her American experience. Richard L. Saunders is Curator of Special Collections and University Archives at the University of Tennessee at Martin and the author of The Yellowstone Reader: The National Park in Popular Fiction, Folklore, and Verse. Shirley A. Leekie is the author of Elizabeth Bacon Custer and the Making of a Myth.

     VOLUNTEER COMMENTS:
This book was scanned using K-1000 software, version 14. Images are retained, and I have the book to check and verify its content, if you wish to contact me for questions. Email me at d28rik at msn com. The book does not have chapter headings. Major headings include: Contents, Illustrations, Foreword, Preface, Acknowledgements, Epilogue, and Notes. Onn each page in the Notes, there are sub-headings with the page range of those Notes. Finally, there is also there in an Index. In each case I have adjusted font to bold and set at size 16 point. It was a very clean scan, even before doing corrections, the Ranked Spelling was over 99 %. One thing I noticed in making corrections, there were a number of incidences, where an r was mistakenly taken for an I. (ex. word jury might be [juiy]. I tried to find them all. But ... well, Good luck, and I hope you may enjoy the history. This book containes content from near around where I live and I hear it is used a lot as reference for people studying local early Montana history.