[bksvol-discuss] gaps in collection discussion

  • From: "Jamie Prater" <jdprater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:38:50 -0600

Hi, I've found the discussion of gaps in the collection quite interesting and
diverse as far as preferences.  I could see how some of what is wanted or
needed would be a nightmare to scan, but also, the way some notetakers have you
read books not to mention the DAISI format of which I'm not familiar, this
would make reading things in proper format such as tables, charts, and such
really difficult for it to be exactly like others are reading who can see the
print.  I'd love to see more books accessible to the general public on learning
various languages and math and crossword puzzles and word searches, but I bet
these would be really a headache to scan and be accurate without sighted
assistance.  While the variety of books is increasing, let's not lose sight
that the current genres could still stand to be added to.  We book junkies of
different genres can't get enough of the latest in Christian fiction and kids'
stuff, and many, many authors.

I appreciate the fact that bookshare seems to fill in the gaps that NLS has and
vice versa and with web braille and the new format for talking books coming, a
multitude of stuff will be at our fingertips.

I'm thrilled to no end with the representation of Christian fiction and
nonfiction of all genres and persuasions and denominations and faiths, and want
this to continue to grow.  If an author writes 100 books and we only have
access to 10 of them, then, there is still room for improvement.

I have been really tickled as a Pentecostal/charizmatic Christian to see books
of this interest in the library and would like to see this continue to grow
along with kids' books--I've thoroughly enjoyed reading and rereding books I
read as a child and heard read but didn't get to finish or never had access to
such as the dollhouse caper, the cricket in times square, the TV kid, and many,
many other titles.  I'd also like to see more crafting books such as Shelley is
wanting.  I'd love to help edit these but I'm not sure I can as it sounds like
formatting would be an issue.  I crochet and do six other yarn crafts and would
love to see as much as possible on all arts and crafts for all to read.
Thanks, Shelley and others for doing the loom knitting and needle knitting and
other books.  Keep 'em coming and also crocheting, weaving, leather, and
others.

I do my part as a proofreader when I find something that I find interesting to
read that is easy to fix minor errors.  I attend book clubs and enjoy reading
the same books as my peers and all of the selections have not been available
from NLS.  I like the fact that all the books on nature's children and nature
series are in the collection as there are many neat animals in the world that I
want to learn about and I plan on reading every one, so keep them flowing on
in.  I'd love to also see more medical fiction and nonfiction and older books
and classics of all kinds.  Thanks to whoever submitted and/or proofread
Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler, and if anybody has anything else by
her, particularly Praying the Names of Jesus, I'd love to see it in the
collection.  I'd also like to see some things by Lester Sumrall.  Bookshare has
been and still is one of the best things that has happened to me in the past
several months.  Every person who submits, scans, validates, proofreads, and
does anything else for bookshare, I applaud you and I say keep up the fantastic
work.  We all love you and thank you for each and every book that has been made
available in braille and audible formats.  Judy Baer, Jane Peart, June Masters
Bacher, Bob Jones, other Baptist and independent Baptist and fundamentalist
Christian authors and books that they talk about on Focus on the Family would
also be great.  There is a book that teaches kids a verse from the Bible using
each letter from the alphabet, and I think you can sing it, but I don't know if
there is music in the book or if that's separate, but this is a neat way to
memorize the Bible.  Well, I know I speak for many others and gladly represent
them in preferences, but I must go now and bring this long email to an end, but
I wanted to put my several cents in on this topic.  Even though I don't agree
with all the choices suggested, I feel that people do have the right to ask for
and receive books in all genres and topics listed that can be put into the
collection.  Thanks and have a blessed day.