[bksvol-discuss] Re: free books for scanners

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 14:33:33 -0500

Yes indeed! I've been burned a few times, most recently with a bunch of books I bought over the past couple of years and intended to scan, then the publisher put all of them, about a dozen or so, up in a few days last October.
But I still have a whole lot of books here that don't seem likely to get into the collection if I don't scan them, so I persevere. I enjoy scanning, so as long as there are books Bookshare doesn't have, I'll keep on keeping on.
Also, as you point out, Bookshare is the only place out there that let's us, the members and volunteers, add to its collection. We can choose what we want to scan, however narrow the interest might be. That is one of the things I like best about Bookshare. I, and anyone else who wants to scan and/or proofread, get a say in making books accessible that are not available anywhere else for us to read.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: tina sohl
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2017 2:18 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: free books for scanners

I was thinking about what Rick and others have said, and I think it's
important that we continue scanning if possible. Some people, like me,
have interests that may never get in to the collection othyerwise, and
if something interests me or you, and just one other person, then
scanning was worth it. I so much appreciate this about bookshare. WE
have input in to what's there, not just a librarian, like with NLS, or
editors, as with audible's content. JUst wanted to encourage others
scanning to keep doing so.
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.