[bksvol-discuss] Re: children's chapter books in series

  • From: fledchen <fledchen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:48:11 -0600

Actually, not all of the official Oz books are by Baum, and not all of them
are in the public domain yet. There are a few people who had official
permission to write Oz books after Baum's death. The last of these books has
a copyright date of 1963.

List of "canonical" Oz books ("The Famous Forty")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oz_books#List_of_.22canonical.22_Oz_books_.28.22The_Famous_Forty.22.29There
are also expansions on the Oz universe that have been written recently, such
as Gregory Maguire's re-imaginings, which are definitely *not* appropriate
for children (although he did write a short story about the Scarecrow that
is a children's story and was included in a children's anthology,
"Half-Human" edited by Bruce Coville).

--Elisabeth Cyson