[bksvol-discuss] Re: categories

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 07:05:11 -0400

Hi all,

There is no way to check one or the other. You have to check Science Fiction and Fantasy. Apparently, nobody on the Bookshare staff reads either genre or perhaps the problem would have been fixed before.

Shoot, I'd be happy to separate books if that's what's needed. I realize that it is difficult with some books, but most are clearly defined. Harry Harrison, Verner Vinge and Arthur C. Clark write or wrote Science Fiction, not fantasy. All their books were based on hard, scientific data. Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Guy Gabriel Kay, and David Eddings wrote Fantasy. There is no science in their books at all.

No, there is no category for historical fiction. You're right Cindy, there should be a separate category for authors like Jean Plaity, Sharon Penman, Christian Jacque, Taylor Caldwell and the like.

I thought Bookshare had hired a librarian. Why isn't she or he doing the job for which she is paid? We've got a category for horror but no historical fiction or fantasy.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring