[bksvol-discuss] Re: categories

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 23:35:26 -0400

I would not feel comfortable signifying science fiction by selecting both science and fiction. Science is the study of reality and no fiction is a description of reality. I could almost agree that a piece of fiction that dealt with known and proven science might qualify to be categorized that way, but if it was it would not be science fiction. Science fiction is a literature of the fantastic and is highly speculative. It is a genre to itself and is not real science. Still, though, a science fiction story supposes within the context of the story that the fantastic elements are manifestations of reality whether the fantastic supposition is even possible or not. In fantasy the fantastic suppositions are assumed to be manifestations of magic or other aspects of the supernatural. That is such a profound difference that it is absurd that the two genres should be lumped together.

On 7/6/2015 10:07 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:

I agree they should be separated bu would it help if you selected 2 categories, science and then fiction? Not perfect, but I think (I don't think there's a category for historical fiction, is there? I think in the past I might have checked the 2 separately, i.e., history and fiction, and in the summary, or a review, explained
Cindy

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

That's what I keep saying. If you take any two genres, or even
multiple genres, you can find books that straddle the line, but if
there is any meaning to the word genre at all then there must be
differences between them and science fiction and fantasy are the
two most unrelated genres of all. I clearly remember that we were
told that when the new category structure would be implemented
science fiction and fantasy would be split. Yet, the new category
structure has now been implemented and science fiction and fantasy
are still lumped together. I really hate to categorize a science
fiction book as fantasy, but if I am to categorize it as science
fiction I have to. That grates on my nerves, to say the least.

On 7/6/2015 6:53 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,

I just sent up a book for approval, after proofing. I
happened to notice the new categories. We still have Science
Fiction and Fantasy as one category. they aren't! Granted,
there are some books that straddle the line between the two,
but to put Isaac Asimov in the same bin with J.R.R. Tolkien is
a bit much. Any way to make a separation between these two?

Ann P.

<mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get
a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
subject line.