[bksvol-discuss] Re: books sitting on download list since last winter

  • From: MissWings <misswings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:30:54 -0500

I'd scan some of the ark or kes files, but seeing as I don't have a scanner I can't help too much with that. Hopefully I can convince the Department of Rehabilitation to get me a scanner since I'll be going to a four-year college in the fall about two hours from here. I've been told that instead of having readers the school uses scanners, so maybe I'll be able to get one then and can help with some of the other formats besides rtf, doc or txt, as well as scan and add to the collection that way. If I do get one I'll probably be asking a lot of questions since I've never really used a scanner before, except for the time I had one which was back in 1995 when I used the old OpenBook scanner. I can help with validating some of the other books though. Just out of curiosity, is there not a way for whoever submitted the books to maybe resubmit them in more accessible formats? If I'm going to scan a book I'd save it until it was added to the collection before I got rid of all the work I'd done on it, so if the submitters valued the time and effort spent on scanning something, or if I'd scanned something I'd keep track of it until I saw it in the collection or received credit for submitting it. It was just a thought, although I don't know how you'd go about doing it. It just seems sad having so many books in formats that not everyone is able to access and work with, and some of the books sounded interesting. I can't remember any of them right now, but if they'd been in an accessible format I would have validated them, but since they weren't I had to leave them. I didn't mean for this to get so long, so I'll close before this turns into a book of its own! Thanks to everyone for reading.

MissWings

At 08:37 PM 6/9/2007, Grandma Cindy wrote:

Most are ARK or KES. I'll take the F. Scott Fitzgerald
biographhy if no one else wants it. It was submitted
by Kenneth Cross last November and I know from what
people have said that he does a careful job of
pre-validating. Robin, if you're, I'm wondering why
you released it--just a matter of time? I notice it's
a long book.

I haven't downloaded it yet to see if someone else
wants it because I won't be able to get to it for a
while. Amy, are you interested?

I'll take the western, too, if no one else wants it.
I'd be validating it without a copy of the book, so if
it's not in good shape or pages are missing I'd have
to reject it.