[bksvol-discuss] books searching and cookbooks

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:35:15 -0600

I just found an annoyance with bookshare stuff being listed from the NLS
search.  Everything bookshare has turns up in the list as an electronic
resource, which is sometimes misleading.  I am annoyed by finding the
remote listings, because they are not free with a bookshare
subscription, downloadable, or even an electronic resource. I'm not even
sure why bookshare lists them.  It is even worse to be taken from NLS to
bookshare to APH just to find you can't obtain what you were looking for
in a format you approve.

As you can tell from my subject, my search was for Betty Crocker
cookbooks.  I simply won't have a braille cookbook that huge!  I also
don't want to pay a fortune for something I won't look at because it is
made inconvenient by being in so many volumes.
Does anyone know how to get ahold of a comprehensive electronic
cookbook? Preferably Betty Crocker.  Scanning is not a very practical idea,
because
someone would have to edit the whole thing, and that someone won't be
me.  I'd by a CD if I could find something that would work.  If some
accessible book provider provided an electronic version of a popular
cook book I would pay something for it as well.  I just don't like
really specialized or fancy cook books, and dont want one I can't trust
because it may be full of scannos.
If anyone has suggestions please let me know.  Off list would be fine.

I also wish General Mills would offer their boxed directions somewhere,
because although I wouldn't consider two volumes too big, I'm not sure they
are up to date enough.  they are constantly changing directions on boxes, to
my great annoyance.  Of course I would probably also prefer that in
electronic form.  I've become very lazy when it comes to manual searching.
;-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity