[bksvol-discuss] Re: baffling Screen Reader tips that people find helpful?

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:32:40 -0700

Hi Lori!

        There are definitely ways to make your screen reader announce all
kinds of things that will help!  Unfortunately, I haven't memorized most of
them, since I proofread primarily using Kurzweil 1000.  However, don't lose
hope.

        In Microsoft Word, pressing control+shift+8 is supposed to turn on
the announcement of all of the paragraph markers and spaces and such.  But I
think there is something else one needs to do in more recent versions of
JAWS, since I can't make this work now and used to be able to enable it.
Maybe you know more about JAWS than I do.

        I'm going to paste here some sections from other e-mails from others
that I've saved about how to make JAWS announce page breaks if it isn't.
Again, I haven't had to do this, as my version of JAWS is happily (thank
goodness) announcing them.
----
I can actually see page break with Word.  By the way, with Jaws 9 you have
to leave in the verbosity menu the item indicating page and column breaks on
and ask the Jaws dictionary to see \012 as page break.
---
And this is from another post about the same thing with more in depth
instructions:
it should be \012.  Sorry.  You need to press control-shift-d to change to
the default dictionary or you can just go into the dictionary while in word
with insert-d and add the entry there.  That would work if you put the right
code which is \012.
---
        And there are ways using the JAWS sound schemes to change the pitch
of speech, or make a sound when you encounter bold or italicized text so you
can identify it, if you want to.  But again, I am a really, really basic
JAWS user and don't know exactly how to achieve such things.  So, there are
ways to hear more using screen readers, I just don't know them.  I'll bet
others do though.

        If you are trying to get rid of extraneous paragraph marks, there is
a section in the scanning and proofreading manual that describes in depth
how to do this.  Let me know if you can't find that, or if it doesn't work
with what you're working with, and we can examine that differently.

Sorry this has been a rather scattered answer to your questions.  Please ask
again if I have done nothing but cause more questions.

Mayrie