[bksvol-discuss] Re: Working draft "Educational Books"

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 22:36:46 EDT

I don't know about accurate. I realize this is a working draft and it
doesn't appear that any of us will have input in it anyway, so this is not so
much a criticism of that draft as it is a general gripe to the powers that be
in classifying educational literature. The point I have a problem with is the
part about classics and literature. They are not really defined here and
that is typical of almost every venue in which they are discussed. It is
always assumed that everyone knows what a classic or Literature with a capital L
is. I have been a lifelong reader and I have still not quite figured it out.
I once had an English teacher tell me that a classic is a book that has
stood the test of time. I mentioned that to my brother once and he made a very
astute comment. He said that, actually, a classic is a book that English
teachers like. That really meshes with the earlier point. If a classic is a
book that has stood the test of time then the likely reason in the case of most
classics is that it is because year after year English teachers assign them
forcing students to buy them year after year. Is there really any objective
quality about them that sets them apart from popular fiction? Really, what
objective quality makes Lady Chatterly's Lover Literature with a capital L
and not the books written by authors with the very likely pseudonymous names
like Buster Hymen and Eric T. Dick that I used to sell back when I had a job
as a clerk in a porn shop? Honestly, I consider most popular fiction to be
of a higher quality because it is easier to understand. Think about it, can
a book really be very well written if every year for year after year classes
have to be conducted in which everyone has to figure out what the author
was trying to say? If the author can just say it and say it clearly enough for
everyone to understand then it seems to me that the author is a better
writer and her or his writing is a lot more educational than the writings of the
authors who produce Literature with a capital L.

                                                  "Philosophers have merely
interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." Karl
Marx

The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com

                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Working draft "Educational Books"
Date:
5/11/2009 10:10:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Sounds quite accurate and appropriate.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of
their act as violence;
 rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
 The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever
committed. -Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)

block quote