[bksvol-discuss] Re: Why No Book Reviews?

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:19:55 -0500

Robert, actually Bookshare has a competent staff that does quite a lot of work. We volunteers handle most of the scanning and proofreading of books. Bookshare staff processes those submissions, works to secure books in digital form from various sources, and we have a volunteer coordinator to help when things get confusing. Bookshare has some quirks, just as most families do. No one is getting rich off of the membership fees from Bookshare though. It's a labor of love for us volunteers, and the staff do care about the project. We sometimes complain about them like you might complain about an aunt who forgets to put her teeth in her mouth before eating Christmas dinner. We get frustrated and/or annoyed at times, but that's mostly because progress isn't happening fast enough to suit us. I hope this makes sense. I haven't had enough coffee this morning. (smile)

Monica Willyard

At 10:14 PM 1/5/2007, you wrote:
I just joined the list. I thought the volunteers do everything and someone at Bookshare enjoys the money. I have found several books with bad Braille. The new Stephen King book is one of them.