[bksvol-discuss] When the Legends Die validated and uploaded

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 21:45:30 -0700 (PDT)

This was, for me, a very sad book. I understand why
Anastasia didn?t want to validate it. It would not be
my choice of a book to read because I don't like the
way the Native Americans were treated. I hate when any
person or group of people is mistreated by another
person or group. Even though it has a more-or-less
happy ending in that the young man regains an
understanding of himself, the path there is not
pleasant. For most of the book he's used by others
because they think they know what's best for him or
for their own ends. Then he  becomes a lonely and
bitter man.

The last chapter makes the moral and philosophical
point of the book, but getting to it is a hard trip
for protagonist and this reader.

This is number 46 (out of 150) on Publishers' Weekly
list of best-selling children's books of all time
(through the end of 2000). It's listed as a
young-adult book, recommended for ages 13 - 17. It
seems to be on recommended reading lists and/or
required reading in some school districts.