[bksvol-discuss] When Chapt. 1 doesn't start on page 1

  • From: Cindy R <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

To avoid possible confusion, when I see that Chapter
one of a book doesn't start with page one, I count
back and put the page number in brackets on the
preceding pages. Sometimes they are prologues,
sometimes blank pages, sometimes dedications,
copyright info, tables of contents, etc. I also put a
page break and "blank page" and the page number in
brackets when they appear before new chapters or
anywhere else in the book where such disrupts the
pagination. I've found that quite a few publishers
always start new chapters on the right-hand page, and
if the preceding chapter doesn't end on the left-hand
page oppposite the new chapter, they put in a blank
page and count it in the numbering rather than
continue the numbering with the first page of the new
chapter. In some cases, the first page of a chapter is
un-numbered, and I put that page number in brackets at
top or bottom of the page, depending on where they are
in the rest of the book.

Hopefully this makes it easier for readers who
otherwise may be wondering if pages are missing.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/