[bksvol-discuss] Re: This is good-bye sort of.

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:49:32 -0500

Hi Gwen!

First of all, you haven't been, how did you put it ... "causing trouble?" We
all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to reading. To me, that is
a good thing. If we all enjoyed reading the same subject matter, writers would
have to limit their choice of topic in order to have their material published
or read.

You needn't feel bad that you enjoy reading a certain type of book. Because of
the way Bookshare's database is set up, there's currently no sure-fire way to
determine whether a book contains "some strong language" or "explicit
descriptions of sex." I think noting such in the synopsis or the comments
section is a good idea, and I will try to do so in the future--but the fact is,
not every submitter or proofreader is going to do that.

The problem, as I see it, with the "computer" rating a book, is that it isn't
very accurate or descriptive. For example, I've seen the word "rape" in
Christian books referencing the Old Testament. I, for one, would certainly not
like to see those books rated as "adult." Personally, I think it's a positive
thing that you brought this matter up, because we can all think about what we
can do to better identify the content of books we submit and/or proofread.

Please don't unsubscribe from the list because you feel that you caused some
kind of problem. You know, my dad used to say "Lynnsky, if everyone agrees with
you, you'd better do some serious rethinking." The older I get, the more value
that comment has to me.

I do feel that everyone of us has a responsibility to express our views in a
way that is not intentionally hurtful to others. No doubt, I have
unintentionally hurt people's feelings, and I am sorry for that. I believe that
we, as a community will always have many diverse opinions, that is a normal
thing. I don't always agree with the opinions expressed in every post, but I'm
learning not to get caught up in what I might once have presumed to be personal
attacks--because most of the time, I don't think the speaker intends them to be
that way.

I'm proud of you for sticking with scanning. That took a lot of fortitude and
perseverance. I think you'll learn much from this list. I know I do--but that
doesn't mean I don't become frustrated, sometimes. That too, I think, is a
normal reaction. *smile*

Blessings.

Lynn I