[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Odessy by LATTIMORE

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:17:47 -0400

Anastasia,

Lattimore's translation of The Odyssey  is listed in Amazon under different
dates but I believe those are rereleases  of the original translation of '71.
My copy is gone or I would send it to you and I can only guess that it is the
copyshe wants.  She might check that date as a hardbound copy is available from
Amazon dated '77 and it may be a rerelease of an original listed from The Univ.
of Chicago Press.  I cannot imagine his putting out a different translation
that soon after a first with all the other works he was translation as well as
his work teaching.  He worked with David (?) Greene on a number of translations
and I will check with one of his students if she knows of more than one
translation by Lttimore of the Odyssey and get back to you as soon as she
answers.  I hope this helps.  I will also check with a friend who may have it
and see if she can give/lend it to me and if she does I'll contact you for an
address.  I'll be in touch unless one of you lets me know she/you  have it.

Sorry I took so long to answer but I have been ignoring my mail in an effort to
get some scanning done while I still have the demo of Kurzweil.  Do you know
how I can change my Kurzweil files so when I lose the demo I won't lose the
files?

Sincerely,

Amy <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>