[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Em-Dash in print

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:25:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Sue.

Reading your note, I realize I did it again. You wrote
em and en in capital letters. Actually, it's the
lower-case em and en that cause the
difference--another instance in which I didn't make
myself clear or made assumptions. If you remember your
lessons, you'll know what I mean. The em dash is the
width of a piece of lower-case em type and the en dash
the equivalent of a lower-case en piece of type. I
cannot see the difference between that and a regular
hyphen, but there might be a minute difference in the
actual type pieces.

Cindy