[bksvol-discuss] Re: Synopses

  • From: Mark Lind-Hanson <mlindhanson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 05:53:06 -0700 (PDT)

Roger-
I was instructed that using the  Product Descriptionfrom Amazon was OK -it is
usually supplied by the publisher themselves- but NOT any of the other
material. Another thing you can do is research it through Google Books, but you
cannot use reviews which appeared in magazines, etc or which themselves carry a
copyright notice.
Neither, of course, is preferable to a short synopsis you write yourself.
It's been a while since I was asked to supply one myself, but that was when I
was supplying them for books already in the bookshare library. If a book IS in
the library then its best first to search "metadata" for one and that is fine
but any copyright notice for the review supplied from the publisher has to be
edited off the metadata.
I am not sure if this clears it up for you but this is my general impression,
and if I'm wrong I demur.
Chela- my bad. I just hit reply& send instinctually.
Mark