[bksvol-discuss] Re: Submitted/historical mystery

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:14:25 -0700 (PDT)

The firsst  one is  The Germanicus Mosaicbut I don't think it's in the
collection yet. However, it isn't necessary to read the books in order. Roman
Ransom, #8, included and identified the major characters, i.e., Libertus, his
wife and servants, his patron the Magistrate, (I forget his name), his
servants. It is, as reviewers and readers sometimes say of books in series, a
"stand-alone".
Have you read Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series? There it is
desirable to read the series from the beginning because many of the characters
appear in the later boooks and incidents and previous crimes are referred to. I
haven't checked and don't know of they are all in the collection. They are good
mysteries set Victorian England; (I keep thinking I know who the murderer
(there is usually but not always a murder to be solved by Inspector Thomas Pitt
)his wife Charlotte and he sister almost always become involved in helping him
because they, from their   more upper-class background, have entree into
circles an ordinary policeman doesn't have). they satirize the gentry and upper
class, of the era and include a lot of the history, politics and sociology of
the time.  Ms Perry also has an Inspector Monk series which I haven't read
because someone told me the stories are more gruesome or perhaps scary. I don't
remember but it was a little more
 than I wanted to read.

TinyURL.com/752cyrs