[bksvol-discuss] Re: Speaking of synopses..?

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:48:46 -0800 (PST)

I've been reading the posts before I write anything, and I'm glad I have--and
maybe I should continue before posting this, but...

For the list I send out, I, and Mary Ann, have been writing synopses for books
that either did not have them or had reviews instead of synopses or had
synopses that did not accurately reflect the story of the book. IN some cases
they quote a line or two from the book that by itself is misleading. I send my
synopses and rewrites to Allison, who posted them on the site.

At first, not understanding the process that Pavi has just explained, I groaned
when I saw all the PQ books without them and may have written some, but I was
absolutely delighted to learn that they will be provided from another source.
Perhaps people would prefer that the PQ books not be added to the collection
until the synopses are included. I have not suggested this, and now that we are
assured that they'll be added within a week, more or less, perhaps it's not a
good idea. On the other hand, since some will replace books that already have
been submitted by volunteers have synopses, maybe it would be good to not list
them as new books until the synopses are included. If that is even possible.

From the one PQ book that was added some time ago which I had validated and
written a synopsis I noted that although my validation, and someone's
submission, was deleted,my synopsis remained.

BUT--we are also receiving fro, Worth--a company or person from another
country. These synopses leave a lot to be desired. Writing a good short
synopsis and keeping within the 250 character limit is time-consuming, and I
have decided not to do it any more for my list. SOme people write wonderful
ones, and I am so happy to see them because it makes it much easier to know
whether the book is fiction or nonfiction and to guess (except when Lissi
submits a book she provides the information) the age level if it doesn't sound
as if it's for adults.

E, I don't think you get my list of books added. You probably check the Browse
New Books list regularly, which I copy for my list and then delete duplicated
lines and add info. If you see a short synopsis that is missing or is badly
written or is a review rather than a synopsis or does not tell what the story
is about, please feel free to write or rewrite one and send it to Allison. One
doesn't have to read the book itself but can read the synopses and reviews that
are posted on B&N and/or Amazon and write the synopsis in one's own words. On a
few occasions, when I haven't found anything on those sites about the book
because it is too old, I've gone to the bookshare site and found that the
submitter or validator wrote and long synopsis and either a few lines could be
taken directly or it was easy enough to edit that to create a short synopsis.

But let me tell you that the job, mainly because of the 250 character limit, is
not an easy one--at least not for me, and it wasn't for Mary Ann, who wrote
really good long synopses. smile