[bksvol-discuss] Re: Something interesting

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:07:10 -0500

I also don't think publishers lose money because y'all don't buy their books
because you would not be buying their inaccessible books anyway. And many
people DO buy books and scan them. But so many of you don't even have a way
to scan the books so what on earth do publishers expect you to do? Magically
gain eyesight? Magically find a way to hold books so you can read them?
Magically heal dyslexia so you can read print easily?

Obviously the Department of Education thinks Bookshare is a good thing or it
would not have given Bookshare the grant it did and the law says Bookshare
is legal for people who qualify.

Maybe if publishers offered a digital copy to purchase that was accessible
for people with print disabilities they would have more of a case but
clearly they don't always do that. Saying they offer audio to purchase isn't
a good argument either because some people are both deaf and blind and audio
does them no good at all.

Plus, I, as a sighted reader, spend almost nothing on books. At any given
time I have a dozen books from my library and of the over 200 books I've
read this year, I've purchased maybe 3 of them and only one of them brand
new at full price. That's what libraries are for. Do publishers begrudge
public libraries who purchase their books and then lend them out for free?

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Matchless by Gregory Maguire

See everything I've read this year at: www.michrxtech.com/books.html