[bksvol-discuss] Re: Something interesting

  • From: Denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:32:52 -0800

Hi

At risk of beheading, I agree that reading print materials- books should be available to everyone. However that we can read them virtually free is questionable. I know we pay a membership fee to BKS but is it very nominal and the authors and publishers are loosing money by allowing their books to be made available to us. As much as I enjoy being able to read virtually unlimited books a year, it doesn't really seem fair completely. I have some friends who are on limited incomes and love to read, but they can't afford to read the amount of books I read each year. They're limited to seeking out second hand book stores or going places that have used book swaps, etc. And because they also have disabilities it makes finding books harder for them because of the travel involved. So my most magnanimous self says we should have to pay some sort of nominal price for downloading books that goes back to the authors and publishers like the sale of any book. The more selfish part of myself says lets keep things the same. I suppose I can ease my conscience by thinking of bKS as a library and I'm checking out books to read.
Denise

At 12:06 PM 12/11/2009, you wrote:
<http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4807>New Petition Seeks to Gain Support of Access to Books for All A new petition has been launched which seeks to gain support of writers and others for equal access to printed material. Some groups, including some book publishers, oppose this idea claiming it will circumvent their copyrights of the books. But others consider the ability to read the same books as everyone else a fundamental right. The treaty will be discussed at the World Intellectual Property Organization meeting in Geneva next week. Thanks to @circulating on Twitter for sending this in. Via <http://www.boingboing.net/>Boing Boing
"If you go without playing the trumpet for one day, no one knows, two days, only you know, and more than three days without practicing, girl you better look out, because everyone will know!" Today, I find myself constantly saying those words, just to get myself going, to not give up, and it works. Since I learned to play the trumpet at the tender age of 10, I have spent so much passion and much diligence with that instrument that I will not give up on it. Sometimes my instrument puts me into awkward situations where I feel like they won't ever end, but the trumpet gives me a lot of hope with the majestic, crystal-clear sound it brings to my ears.
Chela Robles
E-Mail: <mailto:cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx
MSNWindowsLive Messenger: <mailto:cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxxxx>cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: jazzytrumpet