[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some Newbie Questions

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 03:50:01 -0600

Hi Bill

Here's the background on the "right format for navigation".

After a book is proofread Bookshare takes the rtf file and converts it into the different formats (DAISY, braille and mp3) that the members can download. If the rtf follows a specific standard of formatting for the title, sections, chapter headings, subchapter headings and the text, Bookshare's conversion program can create navigation points that work correctly with the various programs members use to read the books.

The book has to have the following bolding and font sizes to make the book ready for correct DAISY navigation. The proofreader will put them in if the person who has scanned the book hasn't already. Here's the standard Bookshare uses:

Title on the title page: 20 point and bold.
Parts/Sections/Books: 18 point and bold.
Chapters: 16 point and bold.
Subchapters/subsections: 14 point and bold.
Text: 12 point and not bold.

Hope that helps!

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 11/8/2015 1:48 AM, William Korn (Redacted sender willythekorn for DMARC) wrote:

Cindy,

I can keep the italics. I'm using a Epson flat-deck scanner to scan to a .PDF file, and ABBYY FineReader 12 for the OCR. For the first 60 pages or so I output my .RTF file in plain text mode, but now I'm doing it in formatted mode. (I also went through and re-italicized the text that needed it.)

I'm not sure what you mean by the "right format for navigation". I set ABBYY to retain page marks and it's been doing a fine job of placing them exactly where they need to be. I've followed the instructions for formatting the chapter heading (which is a centered number which can appear anywhere on a page). The book has a running header (page number and book title, or title and page number) which is occasionally a pain in the fundament, but is fairly easy to get rid of. Are there other "navigation" considerations I'm missing?

Bill Korn

P.S. What does a scanner's note look like? Is it enclosed in square brackets?

*From:* Valerie Maples <vlmaples1@xxxxxxx