[bksvol-discuss] Sighted volunteers (follow up to Cindy's post)

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 00:00:51 +0000

Hi all.  Responding to Cindy's post here...we do have other sighted volunteers
beyond the discussion group.  Please note that we have about 400 active
volunteers who are scanning and proofreading, and only a small handful are
active on the discussion list.  So we can (and do) put out the call to all of
our volunteers on and beyond the list when needed, and always seek to recruit
new volunteers, sighted and not.

Most of our image description volunteers are sighted, because they need to be
able to see the image to describe it (we also have a few blind volunteers who
help us "QA" the descriptions and provide us with technical assistance and
support).  That said, image description work is not a priority over proofing in
general.  I was speaking specifically about the image description work in text
books taking priority over non-text books due to our funding specifications
from the federal government.  (BTW, to all of you who helped on that work this
fiscal year, we met our goal of having 15,000+ images described in text books
and available to our student members, so congratulations and thank you!).

Kindly,

Alisa K. Moore
Volunteer Program Manager
Benetech