[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question re columns

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 06:10:32 -0500

Hello Evan,

Table of contents are special creatures that can be breated slightly
differently.  In a toc, we need to make sure that  the page numbers
associated with chapters, sections and subsections appear to the right of
the text.  If they are scanned as two columns, the decolumnization process
will take the second column, which consists of only the page numbers, and
will put it below all the chapter, section, and subsection listings.  This
makes it very difficult to match the actual section with the associated
page.  That's why Guido suggests that it could be very messy and
time-consuming to clean up a toc.  Whenever I've had to clean up a toc, I've
had to make sure that I manually visit the beginnings of  sections and make
certain that the page designation is absolutely correct.

When scanning in Kurzweil 1000, it's often a good idea to turn
decolumnization off when passing a toc page through the oCR process.
Kurzweil 1000 will allow you to reOCR pages after  changing settings so that
is not a difficult problem to solve.  The difficult problem is when
something other than Kurzweil 1000 or Openbook is used.  I'd imagine that
with the release of Openbook 8, there is a similar feature in that as well.
Decolumnization could be problematic.

Jaimy and others who have used the method you describe, can you send me a
few pages that you might have worked on with a few examples?  I'd like to
see the effects of your method.

Pratik