[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pulitzer prize winners

  • From: <vining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:17:24 -0800

Oh, I need help! I really *am* a book addict! I have, saved in my computer,
over 100 Bookshare downloads yet to be read, and I borrowed three from the
local library yesterday that await scanning... Still, the list of Pulitzer
fiction titles sent me on a feverish Googling mission for hours.

Aside from the titles in this list, I'll probably scan some other books by a
few of these authors; I found synopses that piqued my interest. For now
(well, probably for the next two months!) I'll be working on these, unles
someone beats me to any of them.

*Ernest Poole - His Family 1918
*Margaret Wilson - The Able McLaughlins 1924
(looks like McLaughlins has a sequel.)
*Louis Bromfield - Early Autumn 1927
*Margaret Ayer Barnes - Years of Grace 1931
*T. S. Stribling - The Store 1933
(this book seems to be the second of a trilogy.)
*Josephine W. Johnson - Now in November 1935
*John P. Marquand - The Late George Apley 1938
(Ooh, Marquand is going to be a particular favorite of mine, I can already
tell--he writes about rich New Englanders! heheh And, I have to share this
simply because it made me laugh...it has to be THE longest title I can
recall ever seeing:
"Lord Timothy Dexter of Newburyport, Massachusetts, first in the East, first
in the West, and the greatest philosopher in the western world" (1925)
... No, I won't be scanning that one, but several others are on the agenda.
*Ellen Glasgow - In this Our Life 1942

Joanie, off to bed now where I'll be compiling book shopping lists in my
dreams, no doubt. And why are so many of the women writers on the Pulitzer
list named Margaret?