[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot New computer advice and monitor for low vision

  • From: "Dornetta" <dornetta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 02:20:56 -0400

Hello Lissi;
I use word 2007 on my Dell lap top and word 2010 on my Toshiba. I find that
the ribbons are not so daunting when I use the virtual menus in JAWS. Right
now, I can't remember how to access them but if you need me too, I'll figure
it out for you if you email me off list. Also, when I started college again
back in 2007, the computer class I was required to take taught us a lot of
things for the Microsoft suite. Unfortunately, for me, the only program I
was interested in the suite (word, excel, PowerPoint, access, and publisher)
was word. I still have the disk from  the publisher  and a publisher disk
for 2010 (which I am still learning the new stuff). I am saying this because
once you get your computer up and running, I will be willing to help you as
much as possible. Just email me off list, we can type over email or talk
over the phone if you like. I am trust-worthy and have spoken to others on
the list via phone (Susan and Lori being two of them...but Larry and Susan
being the most talked to people over the  phone). Any way that I can help
you please let me know if you are willing. I am not a JAWS expert but have
also help others in my ACB group over the phone with JAWS turned up  loud
enough for me to hear. Another solution is to contact Freedom Scientific
with any questions if you are trying to install software with JAWS. This
providing that you are a JAWS user. (which I think you said that you were).
Just let me know if you need my help. I probably sit at my computer about 18
hours out of the day, between school work, ACB stuff, bookshare, and other
venues. Again, just let me know if you need my help.
Also, don't be "afraid" of technology...it can be our friend. I am one of
those "blind/visually impaired" folks who DO NOT like change and that word
2003 disk you have is a valued item! Not sure if it would work with windows
7 but when you purchase your new computer, ask if you can get an XP system.
I say this because a few (and I mean recent) years back (like in 2009) when
the blind agency here in South Carolina (SC Commission for the Blind)
purchase me a new lap top for school to replace my Accer (which had Vista)
as its operating system, I asked for XP and hooray! I got it. Like I said on
my newly bought Toshiba, I work with Windows 7 and just told myself that it
is a computer and I AM THE BOSS and not it!! This helped my fear of the
"unknown" and although I HATE that tool bar feature thinga it does ("the
tool bar is asking you to [whatever it is saying] please do a insert N to
access the thinga")  I still refuse to have that object conquer me.
HTH
Netta