[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot New computer advice and monitor for low vision

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 02:44:16 -0400

Just have the tech vacuum the system and replace the fan(s) and power
supply.  Add a flash drive large enough to hold your books or several of
them as needed.  Wallmart just had 16 gig drives for 10 dollars.  If you
have lots of music, flash drives won't be convenient.  You'll probably do
better with an external hard drive. You can have drives lettered to z. I
don't know what your tech meant with that comment.  Btw, I Just checked
system prices locally and $399 was the best I could get from a Staples and a
local computer store.  This was a box without a monitor.  $479 would include
the monitor which might or might not meet your specs.  The tech should cost
half that or less, even if he has to work for hours.  You might consider
going through a local school with a computer science department to find
someone who can help.
 You should act quickly
and use the computer sparingly until you've done the backing up in case it's
a heat problem and/or your drive is about to go.
Just catching up with mail and I hope this isn't redundant advice or, worse,
too late to do any good.
If you would like me to give you the number of a reliable tech who can advise you, write me privately.
You will at least get better advice than mine.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>