[bksvol-discuss] Opinions NeededOT:

  • From: "Nancy Hill" <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:22:14 -0400

Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a scanner.  I really like what I've read
about the PlusTek 3600, especially how it seems to be able to scan books
without them being cut apart.  It seems to have some kind of mojo that
helps read the lines of print even in where the spine sometimes causes
trouble with character recognition.

Has anyone been using a 3600 with the FineReader software?  In your
opinion, how does it work.

I 'm looking for a viable alternative to Kurzweil and Open Book because
they are a bit spendy for my budget.

I have also heard of the OCR software OmniPage 15and then one called
Text Bridge or something along that line.

I would really appreciate  hearing about the software you use  in lieu
of Kurzweil and Open Book.

Thank you for helping this Babe in the woods.

Nancy