[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Women's Fashion

  • From: Shayla Key Parker <shaylakey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:53:03 -0500

Something which has been very successful for me is finding a particular store that I'm reliably happy with. It works best if this is not a department store, but the sort of place that has a nice but limited selection that rotates every month. I prefer Ann Taylor and the Ann Taylor Loft (going this route is not cheap!). Anyway, when you consistently shop at one place, you get a really good feel for what looks good on you and what is currently in fashion. It's also nice with more pricey places because you can be pretty sure after a while that most everything is at least pretty -- it's very hard to accidently buy something hideous at Ann Taylor, because they don't carry anything hideous. Anyway, this sort of thing takes a bit of trying to find the store or two that you like and trust. It's best to go with a well-informed friend the first time or two so you can get really confident about your choices.

At 01:01 AM 12/3/2006, you wrote:
Hi,

I'm inclined to go out and buy a new wardrobe, probably starting in January
and taking a few months, since clothes are expensive.  My problem is, I have
terrible fashion sense.  Of course, one of the best ways to tell what's
fashionable and what's not is through observation.  What are your coworkers
wearing?  What looks good?  What doesn't?  What is in style this season, and
how does that change next season?

I'm curious how others obtain these answers, and how you approach shopping
for clothes, especially if you might have to do it alone.

I'm happy to discuss this on list, but it's definitely far afield from
books.  If you want, we could set up a mailing list somewhere, if there's
enough interest, so we don't spam other Booksharians.

Feel free to contact me off list at loravara@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lora