[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: More than you probably wanted to know about yellowjackets. smile

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:23:10 -0400

yep, quite true.

One of the advantages of licing here in Pennsylvania is our winters normally
kill off most of the adult insects of most species.  As a result we have
fairly small insects compared to the southern states and less of them.

The yellow Jacket is a wasp, and one other interesting fact about them is
that their stinger is not barbed like a bees.  There fore when it stings
you, it can pull out the stinger and continue to do it again and again and
again, till it is exhausted or killed.

They start migrating to new nests this time of year, and I suspect that was
what they were doing the day I found them in my bedroom.

I have had an encounter with a hornet, another of that subspecies of wasp
once, that was rather unpleasant and not to mention embarassing in the
least, but I killed it after the third or fourth sting.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.