[bksvol-discuss] Re: Newby scanning questions

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:36:32 -0500

There's absolutely no good reason to scan to image unless your system is so
incredibly slow that you just can't stand to be in front of it while you wait
for recognition.  My system is somewhere over 3 or 4 years old and even it can
recognize a page before I get the next page set up including in two-page mode.
If you want to be able to rescan a page that came out badly the first time and
would prefer not flipping through the book to find it, you will have to
recognize at the time of scanning.  If it seems substandard for that book, you
can go in, adjust the threshhold setting and try again right there and then,
erasing the previous badly recognized page to avoid duplicate pages.
As for two pages, I use that in several cases: I use it when I'm doing a mass
market (typical) paperback and the margins are two narrow to do single page
mode; I use it on bookclub sized hardbacks where either I'm just too impatient
or the margins are too narrow to use single page; and, I use it on smaller kids
books where the same applies as above.  The thing to remember is that if you're
using two-page mode, you want columns off as much as possible.