[bksvol-discuss] New book submission - Gallatin Canyon

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:13:07 -0600

This new book of short fiction is on the Step 1 page awaiting a smiling
validator.  I live not far from the place referred to in the title.  And I'm
a fan of McGuane.

I hope other Bookshare readers will enjoy the collection.

Here is a snippet from the longer synopsis (book jacket)

Place exerts the power of destiny in these ten stories of lives uncannily
recognizable and unforgettably strange: a boy makes a surprising discovery
skating at night on Lake Michigan; an Irish clan in Massachusetts gather at
the bedside of their dying matriarch; a battered survivor of the glory days
of Key West washes up on other shores. Several of the stories unfold

in Big Sky country, McGuane?s signature landscape: a father tries to buy his
adult son out of virginity; a convict turned cowhand finds refuge at a ranch
in ruination; a couple makes a fateful drive through the perilous gorge of
the title story before parting ways. McGuane?s people are seekers, beguiled
by the land?s beauty and myth, compelled by the fantasy of what a locale can
offer, forced to reconcile dream and truth.

I put my email in the Volunteer comments if someone has a question or
something.

Thanks.
Rik