[bksvol-discuss] New book submission - Chasing Ghosts: A Soldier?s Fight For America From Baghdad To Washington

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:16:59 -0600

Chasing Ghosts: A Soldier?s Fight For America From Baghdad To Washington
By Paul Paul Rieckhoff

Here is a new book I just uploaded to the Step 1 page.  I scanned the book
from our local library - they ordered it at my request - now they can't
hardly keep it in!  Such a riveting account.  Oh I wish it were fiction!

Here is a bit of the text from the synopsis:

As a First Lieutenant and Infantry Platoon Leader for the U.S. Army National
Guard charged with leading thirty-eight men in Iraq, Paul Rieckhoff followed
in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. After Rieckhoff volunteered
to take part in the invasion of Iraq, he and his soldiers spent almost a
year in one of the most dangerous and volatile areas of Baghdad, where they
struggled to maintain order, protect Iraqi civilians, track down insurgents,
and defend themselves against sniper and roadside bomb attacks.

But it was clear to Rieckhoff almost from the get-go that America?s mission
in Iraq was deeply flawed?and that his platoon was overchallenged and
underequipped. If there was a plan to stabilize Baghdad after the invasion,
no one had let them in on it. And with so many obstacles to overcome, they
faced enemies that included thousands of armed, angry, and unemployed men
who had been unleashed into the streets when the U.S. government disbanded
the Iraqi army.

My email is in the Volunteer comments if somone has a question.  I don't
have the book, but I did keep the .ARK file with the Exact View should there
be a question.

Thnaks.
Rik