[bksvol-discuss] Re: Moving around pages in a book--can some1please check this book

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 00:20:25 -0600

Hi Netta,

Whatever you end up doing, remember that the text that's on a page with a specific page number has to stay with that same page number, in order to match the page numbering in the version of the printed book that was scanned. An exception occurs when a word is split between pages. In that case, you should concatenate the word (goodness, I never thought I'd use that word! grin), and choose whether to put the whole word on the bottom of the page it starts on, or the top of the next page where the split word finished.

Sometimes books have pages of photographs or images that aren't numbered; in other words there is, for example, a page 25 with text on it, then three pages of images, then the text starts up again on the fourth page, but with that page actually numbered as page 26, meaning that the three pages of images fall outside the original printed book's consecutive page numbering layout. If the unnumbered pages of images have something on them that scanned, like image captions, you can move the unnumbered pages with those captions to the back of the book. At the start of those pages, in their new location, just put a note in the book that says something in square brackets like "The following unnumbered pages that contained images were moved to the back of the book. Otherwise, if they appear blank, in that case it's fine to delete them.

I've found when I've been proofreading that many times a page that has been labeled "blank page" by the scanner really did contain an image in the original book. Almost always, whether or not the page was really blank or had an image, those pages have to remain in the book because they are counted in the original page numbering for the book. Once or twice in the hundreds of books I've proofread a book contained a blank page in the middle of the book that truly was a blank page that also wasn't part of the consecutive numbering sequence.

I've run into a few books that had only the even or the odd page numbering when I proofed the scan. Almost always the original book actually had the rest of the page numbers, but they were lost when headers or footers were stripped from the book during the scanning. However, I have one or two books that really did only have page numbers for either the even or the odd numbered pages in the original printed book. For whatever it is worth, I was told by staff to fill in the missing page numbers, even though they didn't appear in the original printed text. I think may help Bookshare's conversion tools correctly analyze and convert the books into their final accessible form, but I'm not sure what the exact reason is.

I hope all that helps, and hopefully I'm not muddying the waters! smile.

Judy s.
On 2/4/2013 9:07 PM, Dornetta wrote:
"Hey guys;
The book in question is Little Black Girl Lost 4:

THE DIARY OF JOSEPHINE BAPTISTE

by Keith Lee Johnson. The ISBN# is:

978-1-60751-642-2

I need to know on what page does chapter 1 starts and the subsequent chapters after that. I figure that if I can get the page numbers for the beginning of the chapters then re-numbering the pages or at least straightening out the even page numbers may be a breeze, hopefully. The scanner hasn't gotten back to me yet but pretty confident that she eventually will since she is usually a contributor to the list.

Thanks,

Netta

Just because you are blind does not mean you lack vision"-Stevie Wonder