[bksvol-discuss] Re: Massive Kudos to Bookshare and Basic Books

  • From: Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:12:00 -0400

I know the feeling well. Just last February, when a new book of essays by William H. Gass was published, I was not expecting Bookshare to have it, because they don't have much by Gass and I didn't know Knopf was working with Bookshare, but I checked anyway on the evening of its publication, already feeling my disappointment setting in, knowing it wasn't going to be there, but knowing also that I had to check for my own satisfaction, because as small as the chance was that it would be on the site, that chance still existed, cycled through headings and expected to find nothing, and found the collection in publisher quality. I made a few noises that, if they had been heard by anyone, would have made people question if I was truly human, and the three days until my downloads came back seemed like years. If nothing changes and Knopf doesn't decide to withdraw from the agreement with Bookshare, I'm expecting a similar excitement next March, when his first novel since the mammoth and brilliant The Tunnel in eighteen years, Middle C, and probably his last since he's eighty-eight years old, is to be published.

On 29-Sep-12 20:56, Evan Reese wrote:
Thanks Ali, I was not aware that this had happened before. I was absolutely gonna buy this book and scan it if Basic Books was not a publisher Bookshare was working with. I didn't know whether it was, but I was of course first going to check Bookshare's publishers list to see if it was on it. But before doing that I just decided to enter the title and see if it came up as one of those previews and got this majorly pleasant surprise instead.
Evan