[bksvol-discuss] Massive Kudos to Bookshare and Basic Books

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:35:18 -0400

I just found a book on Bookshare that was added before it's officially
published. The book, Regenesis: How Synthetic Biology Will Reinvent Nature and
Ourselves, by George Church and Ed Regis.

https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/550087

According to Amazon, the book will not be released until Tuesday. That includes
the Kindle version. I heard about it from one of the mailing lists I'm on. Just
on a whim, I decided to enter the title into the Advanced search field,
thinking that I could at least get one of those preview things I got once
before, which would mean that the full book would be coming, hopefully on the
day of it's official release. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to find
that I was wrong. After downloading it and checking the size, and going to the
bottom of the file on my Pac Mate, I discovered that this is indeed the full
version of the book. It was added on September 14. On top of that, it is
paginated, correctly. I know that because there's an index at the end and the
page numbers there match a couple things I've checked.

This is just so utterly cool I had to write and give massive kudos to Bookshare
and the publisher Basic Books for letting me get ahold of this great book
before it's released to the general public.

Evan