[bksvol-discuss] Kurzweil dictionaries/language selection

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:48:05 -0500

I have a question that I hope someone can answer and it relates to the problem Rose has had. When I got Kurzweil version 10 I immediately had to check something out. It now has a verbocity feature that will tell you how many items are in a list, as most screen readers do. Actually I find that information really annoying to hear all the time, so I am happy to have it off most of the time. I did have to use it to see how many "languages"--notice the quotes around the word--fine engine 7.1 displayed in the language list. It has 192 in case anyone else is curious. :-) Not all of them are really languages, since it counts many languages twice due to different spelling, alphabets used ETC. My question is about the items that say something like "English with leagal dictionary" and "English wish medical dictionary". Does anyone know what exactly changes when you select one of these instead of a language without another dictionary? I can't test it myself because I don't know enough about the subjects and as far as I know I don't have anything worth trying it on. Anybody just dying to scan a medical terminology book in German? That's an option, too. :-)

It certainly would be nice if the Kurzweil spellchecking features could let you select optional downloadable dictionaries. It also would be nice if it recognized em-dash or long-dash as a valid word separator. One of the tests I have planned is to see whether double dashes are considered valid word separators.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer