[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted: Whatever it Takes

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:15:55 -0500

I just submitted: "Whatever it takes: Geoffrey Canada's quest to change Harlem
and America" by "Paul tough".
What would it take?
That was the question that Geoffrey Canada found himself asking. What would it
take to change the lives of poor children - not one by one, through heroic
interventions and occasional miracles, but in big numbers, and in a way that
could be replicated nationwide? The question led him to create the Harlem
Children's Zone, a ninety-seven-block laboratory in central Harlem where he is
testing new and sometimes controversial ideas about poverty in America. His
conclusion: if you want poor kids to be able to compete with their middle-class
peers, you need to change everything in their lives - their schools, their
neighborhoods, even the child-rearing practices of their parents.
Whatever It Takes is a tour de force of reporting, an inspired portrait not
only of Geoffrey Canada but also of the parents and children in Harlem who are
struggling to better their lives, often  against  great odds. Carefully
researched and   affecting, this is a dispatch         the most daring and
potential  social experiment of our time.
Book blog:
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx