[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted: The House at Riverton

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:24:21 -0500

I have just submitted The House at Riverton by Kate Morton.
Recounts the crumbling of a prominent British family as seen through the eyes
of one of its
servants. At 14, Grace Reeves leaves home to work for her mother's former
employers at Riverton House. She is the same age as Hannah, the headstrong
middle
child who visits her uncle, Lord Ashbury, at Riverton House with her siblings
Emmeline and David. Fascinated, Grace observes their comings and goings and,
as an invisible maid, is privy to the secrets she will spend a lifetime
pretending to forget. But when a filmmaker working on a movie about the family
contacts a 98-year-old Grace to fact-check particulars, the memories come
swirling back. The plot largely revolves around sisters Hannah and Emmeline,
who were present when a family friend, the young poet R.S. Hunter, allegedly
committed suicide at Riverton. Grace hints throughout the narrative that no
one knows the real story, and as she chronicles Hannah's schemes to have her
own life and the curdling of younger Emmeline's jealousy, the truth about
the poet's death is revealed.
Book blog:
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx