[bksvol-discuss] Re: I'm probably gonna quit.

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 06:58:46 -0400

Too little information.  What kinds of books are you having problems with.  Are
they typical paperbacks, hardcovers, or the larger hardcover-sized paperbacks
called trade paperbacks?  What kind of scanner do you have?  What are your
settings like for keeping suspicious regions, keeping partial columns and
margins?  If you have the usual paperback, you would most likely be doing two
pages at once with the book either spread across the scanner or down the length
of the scanner.  That shouldn't be a problem, but you would have to be holding
the book very flat so that the inner margins of the pages, nearest the binding,
touch the glass and so that the words on that part of the pages come out.  If
you're doing such a book in single-page mode, it might be much harder to get
those inner words to come out.  If you're loosing page numbers, where are they
likely to be?  If they're at the beginning of the book, pages numbered 1-10,
that's not surprising because single numbers can look like meaningless material
to the program and would be left out.  If they are numbers in the middles or
other parts of the book, maybe you have pages sticking together.  Even then,
it's not hard to put those pages in.  Have you asked someone who knows how to
do this kind of thing to stop by and take a look at how you're doing things?
Hope this helps and good luck.