[bksvol-discuss] Re: I chickened out.

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:25:54 -0400

Hi, Jim. I can understand you wanting to wait a bit and learn more about validating. My first validation was a royal mess, and I didn't know enough to reject the book when that's what should have been done. I nearly gave up, and it's in the collection now with only a fair rating. I wish someone had told me what I'm going to tell you now. (smile) Jim, you can do this when you're ready. There are easy validations, and there are some that require the patience of a saint. If you start with an easy one, you'll learn faster because you'll master the basics while enjoying what you're doing. I keep a sort of list of submitters whose work is easy to validate so I can recommend their books to new volunteers. If a person isn't mentioned here, it doesn't mean they're bad scanners. I just may not have seen their work. I can tell you that books scanned by these people are easy to work with... Jamie Yates, Carrie Karnos, Mayrie Renae, Jake Brownell, Scott Blanks, Bud Schwab, Jim Baugh, and Kaitlyn (Katie) Hill. All of these people do some proofreading before submitting, and many of them submit scans that are nearly flawless. When I grow up, I want to be just like them. (grin) I recommend that new volunteers start with easy books to get comfortable with validating. Once you feel more confident about the process, the rougher scans will be easier to work with.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.