[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help With Using the Library

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:11:00 -0600

Monica, don't feel dumb! Librarians take entire courses in graduate school on how to use and figure out the Dewey Decimal system. smile.

I think you'll find most general business marketing and sales books in the 658 and 659 sections.

Here's a great link I just found that lists what each set of numbers is supposed to cover:

http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wakefield/definitions/deflibcl.html

Here's the specific numbers that I'm guessing will have books you're interested in:

658 General management
658.022 Small business
658.1141 Business in the home
658.1522 Business plans
658.3 Personnel
658.42 Entrepreneurs
658.57 Shops
658.8 Sales/ Marketing
658.848 Export marketing
659 Advertising & public relations

Hope that helps! smile.

Judy s.

Monica Willyard wrote:
Hi everyone. I feel dumb for asking this question. Do any of you know what Dewey Decimal number I should look under for books about sales and/or marketing? I seem to get totally turned around when I try to understand the Dewey Decimal system. I know how the system works, in theory. Using it is another matter. The only books I know how to find are cookbooks. They are in 641.5. There are certain subject terms you're supposed to search for, and I usually end up leaving my library's web site feeling lost and frustrated. I want to find some titles in our local library to help with marketing and sales for our small business. Without knowing some titles in the collection, I have to use their Dewey subject system. If I could see, I could just wander around the library until I find what I need, or I could ask a librarian. The web site doesn't work that way. :( I wish I could bribe my library to use Amazon's system so I could find things.